My girls love their dolls. We have quite a collection which includes Barbie dolls, American Girl dolls, Polly Pocket dolls and classic baby dolls. One sad part of life as a well-loved doll is that their artificial hair can get tangled and matted somewhat quickly. I came up with these steps of how to detangle doll hair after my daughter found a pretty Barbie doll at a garage sale. We brought her home and gave this Barbie a hair makeover! Try this easy solution to detangle and revitalize doll hair. These tips are helpful for when your daughter decides to adopt a disheveled doll or when you want to clean up any doll that’s enjoyed its share of love.
My daughter came home from a garage sale one weekend with a beautiful Rapunzel doll that sadly had very matted hair. We gave her new Barbie doll a hair makeover and we were very happy with the results!
- Hair conditioner
- Spray hair detangler
- Wet hair brush or large tooth comb
- White vinegar
First, we gathered our supplies. I assembled a bottle of hair conditioner, spray detangler and a Wet hair brush (a comb would work too). I used TRESemme hair conditioner to soften and straighten the Barbie’s hair, followed by a spritz of kids’ spray hair detangler. Likely any of brand of conditioner and spray detangler would do. The Wet hair brush helps to minimize tearing the doll hair as you detangle it.
I combed both products through the doll’s hair, being gentle so that I didn’t pull out very many strands. Finally, I followed with a thorough rinse.
Tips to Easily Detangle Doll Hair
1. First, gently detangle the doll’s artificial hair with your fingers, separating strands as best as you can.
2. Wash out any dirt with warm water.
3. Next, gently massage in a small amount of hair conditioner.
4. Working in small amounts, gently come through the doll’s hair, working your way around her head until all the hair is combed through.
5. Spray in hair detangler to increase the hair’s softness.
6. Thoroughly rinse the doll’s hair with a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water to produce a super shiny finish.
7. Follow by a final rinse with warm water.
8. Finally, style your doll’s hair any way you’d like.
These simple conditioning tips for this Barbie doll’s hair makeover made quite the difference! If I had a small curling iron on low I could have made her practically look like new. Artificial hair can burn, so if you do use a curling iron be cautious with the temperature. This hair revitalizing process would work on any doll with artificial hair.
My daughter loves her new-to-her Barbie doll and Rapunzel seems only too happy to join our family. I enjoy keeping our stuff looking nice and also decluttering using some toy organization tricks.
I think it’s a valuable skill to teach kids how to make an old toy look like new again. If you try these tips for how to detangle a doll’s artificial hair, we’d love to hear how it goes!
Pin this to Pinterest
Katie is a writer and influencer based in beautiful Coeur d’Alane, Idaho. She enjoys DIY projects, photography, decorating and going on family adventures. She feels blessed to be a wife, a stay-at-home mom to three kids and a Pacific Northwest lifestyle blogger.